It is challenging to provide a definitive list of the top 10 corporate sustainability initiatives launched this year, as new initiatives are constantly being announced by companies around the world. However, here are ten significant initiatives launched in 2021 that were widely recognized for their commitment to sustainability:
1. Apple’s “Restore Fund”: Apple pledged $200 million to support innovative carbon removal solutions in partnership with Conservation International and Goldman Sachs.
2. Amazon’s “Climate Pledge Fund”: Amazon’s $2 billion investment fund to back sustainable technologies and services aimed at achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2040.
3. Microsoft’s “Sustainable Aviation Fuel Supply Agreement”: Microsoft entered into an agreement with Alaska Airlines to purchase sustainable aviation fuel, reducing carbon emissions of its business travel.
4. Unilever’s “Regenerative Agriculture Principles”: Unilever unveiled a set of regenerative agriculture principles to drive biodiversity, soil health, and carbon sequestration on one million hectares of global agricultural and forest landscapes by 2030.
5. IKEA’s “Buy Back and Resell”: IKEA launched its buy-back and resell program, allowing customers to sell back their used furniture for store credit, reducing waste and promoting circularity.
6. Coca-Cola’s “World Without Waste”: Coca-Cola announced its ambitious goal of collecting and recycling one bottle or can for every one it sells globally by 2030.
7. General Motors’ “Ultium Charge 360”: General Motors launched an integrated electric vehicle charging service, Ultium Charge 360, to simplify and enhance the EV charging experience for customers.
8. Procter & Gamble’s “Ambition 2030”: P&G introduced its climate commitment, Ambition 2030, aiming to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions across its operations by 2040.
9. Verizon’s “Citizen Verizon” initiative: Verizon launched a $1 billion initiative to promote digital inclusion, climate protection, and social justice through various projects and partnerships.
10. Levi Strauss & Co.’s “Cottonized Hemp”: Levi’s introduced “cottonized hemp” denim fabric as a more sustainable alternative to traditional cotton, reducing water usage and chemical treatment.
This list showcases a diverse range of initiatives from various industries, highlighting some key sustainability efforts undertaken by leading corporations in 2021.